President Kennedy School Becomes An Academy
On October 1st, President Kennedy School became an academy school. This means that we are still a state school, but are now funded directly by the Department for Education, rather than funded via the local authority. As is the case with other academies. President Kennedy School will be run by a board of trustees who will oversee the governing body (the majority of whom are parents of students who attend the school). The trustees for our school are the Chair of Governors, Mr Paul Crisp along with two parent governors, Mrs Hardeep Sahota and Mrs Celine Issaad.
As an academy, President Kennedy School will enjoy greater freedoms than schools run by local authority and will be expected to work with and support other local schools. Our catchment area and entry criteria will remain the same. The school will not become selective and the ethos of an excellent inclusive comprehensive will remain.
The governors of President Kennedy School are committed to ensuring that the school continues to focus on meeting students’ needs first, placing them at the heart of the learning process and ensuring that all barriers to their learning and success are removed. Our governors have set out their priorities for President Kennedy School, which are to:
- Continue the school’s excellent progress by having the freedom to follow the curriculum most suited to our students needs
- Enhance further students’ experience and their achievement, by gaining flexibility to improve teaching and learning, develop leadership in school and boost professional development
- Continue to work successfully and collaboratively with local schools in order to improve the educational outcomes for all local students in our area
- Direct control of our budget according to our priorities to ensure we provide an excellent education and all our staff are well trained, motivated and rewarded appropriately
- Direct responsibility for our success at a time of uncertainty, enabling President Kennedy School to contribute and shape local educational developments.
Our successful conversion to academy status marks another step along the exciting path for our school and we thank everyone connected with our school for their continued support.